Born on October 11, Father Holloway always prided himself on having arrived one day before Columbus.

Edward Francis Holloway was born October 11, 1926, in Salisbury, Maryland, and was the youngest of seven children. There was a large age difference between him and his oldest brother, Weller, who was already attending the University of Maryland at the time of his birth.

His father was the president and co-founder of Salisbury State Teacher's College (now Salisbury University). Dr. Holloway would often become agitated when, on outings with Edward, ladies would compliment him on having such a cute grandson. "Thank you," he would reply, "he is my son."

Dr. Holloway died when Edward was eight years old. Two of his older sisters, Jeanne and Nancy, became his primary caretakers. He entered Salisbury State Teacher's College at age 16 and promptly flunked out.

He joined the Army at 17 (lying about his age) and later said it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He "grew up" while in the service, returned to Salisbury State, and became an exemplary student.

Necessity required him to work while in school, so he took a job as a cook at Johnny and Sammie's, the local diner. There he met Jacquelyn Sturgis, a coworker who was also a student at Salisbury State. Jackie initially disliked Edward, but her feelings changed as she got to know him. They married on Friday, July 8, 1949, at the end of her junior year.

They had a weekend honeymoon in nearby Ocean City. The day after the wedding, Jackie decided to cook breakfast. Edward awoke to smoke pouring out of the tiny bungalow kitchen. Jackie was in tears as she explained that she waiting for the bacon to get crisp in the pan. (Ironically, she later became an excellent cook.)

Edward took a job as a teacher in the Wicomico public school system. Jackie never returned to college as she soon learned that she was pregnant. After a difficult pregnancy, she gave birth prematurely to Constance Marie Holloway on March 25, 1950. Her sister, Pat, took one look at Connie in the hospital nursery and proclaimed "That child is not going to live." Against the odds, she did.

The family moved frequently as Edward received promotions. He was a teacher/principal by the time Connie entered first grade. Having his daughter in school had its benefits. When he was teaching science, he would snatch Connie out of the lunch line, whip out his comb, and use her hair to demonstrate static electricity.

The family attended St. Peter's Episcopal Church regularly and in 1960 began attending St. Alban's. It was there that Edward decided to join the priesthood.

In the summer of 1961, the family moved to Gambier, Ohio, where Edward began three years of grueling study and keg parties at Bexley Hall. Even though Jackie was working full time and Edward had part-time work, money was tight and, at times, non-existant. But every time there was not enough money for groceries, a check would miraculously arrive from St. Alban's.

After graduation from Bexley Hall, Edward (now Father) took a headmaster position in Boynton Beach, Florida, at St. Joseph's. In 1967, the family moved to Daytona Beach and Father became headmaster of St. James' Day School. Jackie taught fifth grade at St. James until her death in March, 1984, from cancer.

In December 1984, Father married Kandy Lowe, a widow whose son had attended St. James. Soon after, Father left St. James and became vicar at St. Timothy's. He held that position for five years, and then became assistant priest at St. Mary's Episcopal Church, a position he held at the time of his death on July 8, 2002.